Monthly Archives: September 2015

A way to organize your floss for stitching a project…

It was decided early on there needed to be a way to keep my Embroidery Floss organized…I finally came upon an idea that works for me…you need to find one that fits… you…. as each of us is different in how we approach our crafts…. 

First… a skein of floss….. then find the end that can pull freely out… then put a neat little “white snap ring” through the upper part where the floss is pulled… (these are from a place that sells …..rings to make chainmail for medieval costumes…)  The Ring Lord

  

When you pull on the strand….the floss will only come off to a certain length which has helped my  stitching with to long a length….If you need a longer length you can just pull it through the other side and more will come off …but also will stop again….

  
Now for the neat part…since there are six strands of floss…you  now pull one strand…threading my needle and the others will bunch up at the ring…. just long enough for stitching….

 Leave the floss bunched or smooth it out to get another piece when youu need it…then bunching it up all over again…works great….One thing I do then is put all of the colors I am working with on a large metal ring…which for a small project is nice or you could put them on multiple metal rings and organize then by the colors or numbers you will be working with…For the Trevelyon’s Cap course this is what I did with my floss….all the colors are on one big ring and I can flip them around and keep the color that I am working with on the outside…..  this is what works for me…..maybe it will give you some ideas too….

Oh….I forgot to mention  that any leftover lengths of floss can be easily put back on the ring of the same color to be used the next time you need that color….

  

Field Mouse Part 2

Next in the stitching of the Field Mouse is part of a stem….this is a particular challenge as there are “odd” shapes to create with the long and short stitch to help with the blending and what should be called  light and shadow effects…so the challenge began and below is the attempt….it will be interesting to see the final result as I progress through the stems, leaves and wheatear…Hopefully…of course by the time I actually get to the mouse I will be an expert?! Ha!!!! Me, myself and I are my best critic!

 

Field Mouse…a Tanja Berlin Design

  This project has been sitting in one of my bins where I keep the “to do” mainly because I “want” to do this one a lot… I started a week or so ago…one of those embroideries that I know I will learn tons to help improve my needle painting… Tanja has what I call very intricate instructions… I am glad however I am tackling this one after I have done some of her other projects…this one is a bit more advanced but I wanted to do a “furry creature” and get better with my technique…this one fits the bill because it is just so doggone cute…! 

 Well, here is my attempt at the leaves…I am working on my blending skills and this is an area that will be used a lot in this project…I am hoping I will not “overthink” the long and short shading…I try to keep in mind this stitch is a freeing one which allows me some “Oh gee, I need a stitch here or there”… Having that attitude has helped me tremendously…the diagrams of course give a more precise look at how the stitches are supposed to lay out…but that is just for “in my opinion” an example…I have found “long and short stitch to be freeing…yes..you are stitching within the parameters of the lines..however…they get covered up and it just is freeing to do this stitch… for me anyway…hey I like to watch TV when I stitch and this is one stitch I enjoy doing!  I can already see that I need to practice more and that is why I am doing this project..I know I will be happy when it is finished and I will want to “pet” my mouse!