Finished the orange tree on the back wall of the workbox. It sparkles! When the end of the directions were read it calls for a metallic thread to be stitched in each one of the leaves to give them some sparkle or maybe to make the leaves look a little dewey…As usual there might be some tweaks here and there. Next is a basket…but I am planning on putting this aside for a few days to work on my other project which has been lanquishing in solitude for to long. I think the choice of the perle for the oranges looks fine when you see the whole picture. I forgot to think about the color of the fabric I chose could make a difference in the way the colors would show up on the piece. I like my green silk a lot…so hopefully will not have to adjust to many other colors. But the original color for the oranges still seemed pretty drab to me…anyway. That’s a mighty big rabbit for this tree..gives it a fantasy effect and makes me smile..what a hoot!
Changing the type and color of a stitch from what the designer has written in their instructions makes one sometimes feel like you are taking their hard work and putting it aside..Myself for one truly understands all the work that goes into the design from the concept, sketching, decisions on what stitches to use then each individual color/thread that is used for all the different areas of a design. Boggles my mind! So when changing a designers idea to what works for me I still get a twinge of “but it should have done it their way” guilt.
After having stitched for so many years whether handwork or machine embroidery….then with all the wonderful and fantastic teachers who have “encouraged” to take a chance and change a color or type of stitch because it makes us as students to step outside the box… Sooooo….below is a photo of the change of color chosen for the oranges. Much happier with the color..the thread used is a DMC perle cotton #5 varigated… and then using a light padding underneath then covering with a satin stitch. I like the effect the tiny cross stitch gives the bottom of the orange.
The leaves use a fly stitch ….same as on the front…one thing that gets very tiring at times is “leaves”so many of them! Enough said! We will see the full effect of the new colors when the tree is finished!
Ahhh…finally some cooler weather especially in the morning….The tree trunk and branches are finished. The stitching went pretty quick . That was nice. As you can see in the photo I stitched the next item which is an orange. I already took it out once and still am thinking about redoing it another way . The color is a little different than the original in the previous post (the picture from the book). I am thinking about changing the method of stitching which is an elongated “crosstitch”. I need to bring my smocking skills to the forefront so I can lay the three strands of silk floss next to one another …or even better find a perle thread that would look nice instead…hopefully I will take a few minutes and look for something today..I think the oranges need more color…the color supplied with the kit is a little on the drab side for and orange…not fall color enough for me…I like that we as stitchers can change things up!
Better later than never…It has just been to muggy and hot to do much of anything…The title at least makes me feel Autumn is coming…Yes…I finally picked up the part of the back of the workbox and started to embroider the trunk of the tree with a stranded wool called” Gloriana Lorikeet”..I am pretty sure I have mentioned before that using all these different types of embroidery threads is a wonderful treat…now whether I like them or not…at least I have tried them..This crewel wool is “fine” and for the trunk of the tree you use two strands for the bigger part and then use one strand for the smaller branches. The wool is varigated and adds some very nice contrast to the trunk…The picture below shows just the main trunk and where I started again with the crewel wool (boy that just sounds hot!) . I separated the two strands so the difference can be seen.
The stitches used here are the “stem stitch and the outline stitch” alternating the two in rows…Are they precisely done?..Not sure…to much fuzzy going on…Trying to remember how to do these “supposedly” simple stitches has always been a challenge…For me I finally decided this was the best way “outline” means “O”ver and then stem is under. Now Over for me means above but I like the fact I can use the “O” in outline to remind me how it works! Pretty slick for my memory!
This is the backside picture from the instructions in the book “Home Sweet Home” Embroidered Workbox by Carolyn Pearce …”Autumn Orange”…Remember this is a small box …One day I will show just how small it is.
Just a quick update…I have been taking a brief break from stitching…I did work for a little while on the “Trevelyon Cap” and hopefully will show some progress on that shortly… My mind keeps saying ” I need to finish…I need to finish..let the fingers go stitching! My body says “cool, stay cool, I want to stick my head in the refrigerator”. As you can tell August is definitely not a favorite month of the year!