Lots of “padded satin stitching”. The challenge is to keep the satin stitching all going in the same direction. The first part was the padded center of the flower which was nice to do. What the photo shows below is that even though there are “5” different “split stitch” lines of color around the center I needed to add more. We all stitch different so when I got to the outside part I had to add a extra line or so to fill in the area. Maybe my tension is to tight or I am just a “small stitch stitcher”!
Next is the finished portion ..again I am pleased how this one turned out. I still think I need better glasses!
And now for a picture of all that I have finished so far! The month of July has been a bit hectic for me and it has been sooooo…relaxing when I have had some moments to sit and stitch.
Although trying to be happy with the results of the satin sitch this time around…for me the success was less than I had hoped for. Maybe the magnifying makes one to be more critical. There were, however, some tiny areas to work or I was just trying to hard..and believe me I am “not” doing over… ! (Maybe I need new glasses again!) I try my hardest but have learned I will never be a perfectionist…(am to lazy!)
When working this design there is an outline around some of the elements which gives an all over much smoother appearance to the design and it also makes the “satin stitching” look smoother around the edges. Trish Burr has been designing her “Whitework With Colour” with these outlines. I like it because it helps to “hide” some of those imperfections. This particular section was “tight”..meaning some very small crowded stitching. I have put below the before and after pictures of this section so one can see the difference without the outline and than with.
Makes a difference. When I was really into machine embroidery I noticed that outlining gave a nice finished edging to a piece. Not all machine embroidery designs do the outline but for me it was effective. Kind of like the outlining when coloring in a coloring book when I was a child. That outlining I always thought made a picture stand out more and gave it some kind of “shadowing effects”. Well on to steps 9~10!
So onto steps 5~8…After finishing steps 1~4 I strayed back to the directions. One thing that I wish Trish had written in her directions was to half the three petals in the middle. Now she did have a line printed in the middle but just as with “Katerina the Cat” I did the “Padded Satin Stitch” all the way across. Then I realized I should have halved them on each of these petals to allow for a line of running stitch or back stitch. You would of thought I would remember from my first foray with Katerina but “no such luck. Still came out okay although I am the type of person who needs more guidance at times. Yes…I did read and reread this time. I backstitched these lines in later and it was difficult not to create more of a “bunching” effect. Thankfully I am okay with it and will “not be redoing it”.
The other thing that happened which is never a pleasant thing is I stabbed myself with the needle and guess what happened? It created a mess and it was enough to make it so I needed to remove a smudge of stain. If you haven’t heard about this trick it is logical in a way…You need to use “your” saliva on a piece of tissue or cloth and the stain will blot right out. When I found this out I wanted to bottle it…but we know that is impossible.. it is however available at a moments notice. Who would of thought women would have an excuse to “spit” like men do all the time.. It does bother me but it works.. You’ll never find out where this mess happened…so isn’t that wonderful! Actually this is the first time this has happened to me with an embroidery so I count my self extremely blessed!
Since embroidering “Katerina the Cat” ..Trish Burr has now come out with another “Whitework in Colour” called “CHLOE THE CAT”. Of course I purchased the mate from her shop Trish Burr. You can get the kit or go to her digital shop Trish Burr Digital and get a digital copy.
I purchased the kit without the threads as I have amassed a complete set of DMC threads. I was glad to receive the instructions in a booklet form and the design preprinted on a nice piece of fabric. Whew one less thing to think about! Also included was a needle. The booklet gives you the DMC color numbers you need with a printed “color block” next to each one.. Nice! The first thing to be done after hooping up your design is to go through the steps in the booklet. The first one takes you through steps 1–4. I just finished number 1… it is a “Padded Satin Stitch”. Forgetting how tedious (albeit enjoyable) it can be doing the padding I have to use the same color throughout the process so where the floss goes can be wearing on the eyes.
I know that this is my method to help me keep some semblance of order so out came my “air erasable”. First thing is to outline the area with the outline running stitch and then fill in the object with straight stitches opposite of the way the satin stitching is going to be placed. After the first layer is done I chose to mark my next layer with the marker to help differentiate the first layer from the second one. Followed that with the third layer also. This is the only way I am able to keep my focus on where I have stitched while using the same color.
Now I finished the padding and did the satin stitch on top and below is what is finished.There are some other outlines but they come later on…I am actually “reading” ahead…hopefully for the better in the long run!
I will show more when I finish a group of steps to show progress… I know it will be fun!
Just so you can see my “KATERINA THE CAT that was finished a few years ago here is a picture of the one I stitched…For some odd reason I like eyelets and both of these have them so will be doing them with pleasure again!